Thursday, January 17, 2013


Norm Macdonald - The Cobras by NormMacdonald

Watched the NAC orchestra perform the score from West Side Story, accompanying the movie playing on a big screen over their heads. I love the mix of seeing live music from an orchestra as combined with a pop-culture twist. I have also seen the NAC orchestra perform alongside Looney Tunes classics, I've seen an orchestra perform to highlights from the six Star Wars films, and we've had such things at the Mayfair before with films like Metropolis and Night of the Living Dead.

It was an enjoyable night out, but I cannot tell a lie, the whole time I could not help but think of one of my favourite SNL skits of all time (conceived by Norm MacDonald and featuring Robert Downey Jr). Norm's parody of West Side Story perfectly points out the silly suspension of disbelief that one must undertake to enjoy a Hollywood musical.

No comments: