Friday, February 01, 2013



I admit that I was not familiar with the artist Wayne White until we booked the documentary Beauty is Embarrassing to screen at the Mayfair. The rather distinctive theatrical poster caught my eye, and then I learned that he was one of the masterminds behind one of my favourite teevee shows of all time, Pee Wee's Playhouse.

The Pee Wee years play an important part of the artists life story, but that is just one aspect of a fascinating creative career and life. Any career that encompasses puppet making, animation, pop art painting and live performance with banjo accompaniment is not so surprisingly an interesting one. It's one of those doc's that not only makes you want to go out and re-watch Pee Wee and pick up Wayne White's coffee-table book of art...it also an inspiring piece of filmmaking that makes you want to get out there and be creative.

The Mayfair screens Beauty is Embarrassing tonight at 9:15pm, with encore screenings the next three nights. You can also check out the official Beauty is Embarrassing site for further info, stuff to buy and other means available to check out the doc. I highly recommend that you do.

No comments: