Tuesday, June 26, 2012


Tonight was honoured to be in the presence of Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers this-evening at the Ottawa Jazz Fest. I've been a fan of Steve Martin's forever, and by forever I mean since I saw him work alongside The Muppets when I was a little kid. Then of course he did a run of films including The Jerk, Little Shop of Horrors, Roxanne, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Planes Trains & Automobiles, etc...

Acting aside he also happens to be an acclaimed and award winning play-write, screenwriter, and musician. His banjo skills are well known, and now we live in a world where in some circles he's known just as much for being a world class banjoist as he is stand-up comedian or movie star.

Being an avid watcher of David Letterman's show I have seen Steve Martin perform a number of times, and have his albums, so I knew what to expect. It was interesting that much of the crowd seemed to have absolutely no idea that he was in fact a legit musician and that he wasn't undertaking this endeavour as part of a comedy bit. Getting to see Steve Martin perform along with an excellent band with him was a great evening. Steve Martin throwing in jokes here and there was a true bonus, and likely the closest any of us will get to see him return to his live comedy roots. And it made me really want to watch Three Amigos again.

No comments: